Chaka Khan is an American singer-songwriter with a $30 million net worth. Chaka Khan is commonly known as the “Queen of Funk-Soul.” Khan is a Grammy Award winner ten times over whose career spans over four decades.
Yvette Marie Stevens was born on March 23, 1953. She was raised in a Chicago, Illinois, artistic, bohemian household. She is the oldest of five children born to Charles Stevens and Sandra Coleman, both of whom are beatniks. Khan was an early fan of rhythm and blues music, and at age 11 she formed the girl group The Crystalettes.
Khan attended multiple civil rights rallies as a teenager and joined the Black Panther Party in 1967 after befriending activist and fellow Chicagoan Fred Hampton. A Yoruba Baba gave her the name Chaka Adunne Aduffe Hodarhi Karifi when she was 13 years old. Khan left the Black Panthers in 1969 and dropped out of high school at the same time. She began performing in small groups in and around Chicago.
Khan wed Hassan Khan in 1970 when she was 17 years old. The marriage dissolved shortly thereafter. Khan has a daughter, Indira Millini with Rahsaan Morris. In 1976, Khan married Richard Holland.
Together, they have a son named Damien Holland. In 1980, Richard filed for divorce. Khan dated a Chicago educator during the mid-1980s when she was at the height of her solo career. Following their breakup, Khan relocated to London and then Germany.
Khan has a history of drug abuse and alcoholism, but she quit using drugs in the early 1990s.
In 2006, her son Damien was accused of murder after Christopher Bailey, age 17, was fatally shot. Khan testified on behalf of her son, and Holland claimed that the shooting was accidental. He was found not guilty in the criminal trial.
View this post on Instagram
Nonetheless, Khan’s mid-1980s popularity was swiftly followed by a decline throughout the 1990s. In 1998, she signed with Prince’s NPG Records, released “Come 2 My House,” and went on tour as a co-headlining act with Prince.
With the Grammy-winning album “Funk This” released in 2007, Khan returned as an older, wiser, but no less soulful singer. The album featured the hits “Angel” and “Disrespectful,” a duet with Mary J. Blige. The song reached number one on the U.S. dance singles chart and earned the artist a Grammy.
This album was awarded the Grammy for Best R&B Album. The album also featured a notable cover of “Sign o’ the Times” by Prince. Since then, she has reignited her career and reaffirmed her position as one of the most remarkable and enduring voices in the history of soul music. Khan took part in the 2008 Broadway adaptation of “The Color Purple.” She did not follow up on “Funk This” until 2019 with her thirteenth solo album, “Hello, Happiness.”
Achievements & Recognitions
- In her solo career, Chaka Khan has earned three gold albums, one platinum album, and three gold singles. In collaboration with Rufus, she has received four gold albums, two platinum albums, and four gold singles.
- Billboard Magazine ranked her as the 65th most successful dance artist of all time in 2016.
- VH1’s original list of the 100 Greatest Women Of Rock & Roll ranked Chaka at number seventeen.
- In her illustrious and successful career, she has won ten Grammy Awards.
- I’m Every Woman, Chaka Khan’s solo debut album, was a worldwide success, achieving Platinum status and selling over one million copies.
- I Feel For You has reached the number one spot on the United States and R&B dance charts. Additionally, US Pop Chart and Billboard Hot 100 position #3. Beginning at the end of 1984, the song stays on the charts for over 26 weeks. It also topped the charts in the UK. In 1985, it ranked fifth on the Billboard chart.
- In 2004, Chaka Khan received an Honorary Doctorate of Music from Berklee College of Music in the presence of its president, Roger H. Brown.
Who Are Chaka Khan’s Parents?
Charles Stevens and Sandra Coleman raised Chaka. Additionally, she has four siblings, one brother, and three sisters. Tammy, Mark, Yvonne, and Zaheva are their names.
Mark Stevens, her brother, was a former member of the funk band Aurra and is also a musician. Khan’s interest in music was sparked at an early age by her grandmother, who also introduced her to jazz. Chaka has attended both “Calumet High School” and “Kenwood High School”
Khan has also studied music at the Berklee College of Music.
Is Chaka Khan in a Relationship?
Chaka Khan was romantically involved with Rahsaan Morris. In addition, they share a daughter, Milani Khan (born in 1973).
What is Chaka Khan’s net worth?
Chaka Khan’s estimated net worth is $30 Million.
What is Chaka Khan’s age?
Chaka Khan was born on March 23, 1953, making her age 69 at present.
What is Chaka Khan’s height?
Chaka Khan’s height is 1.62 meters, or 5 feet 4 inches.
Chaka Khan is one of the world’s finest female jazz and soul artists. She has released numerous albums and sold millions of records.
As of August 2022, Chaka Khan’s estimated net worth is approximately $30 Million.